Re: [ST] A few minor problems

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, David Earl wrote:

> Mike- I might be the wrong guy to answer your question, as I still have
> the original tune, but AFAIK the tune is loaded with the bike off. Don't
> see how "lack of back pressure" would affect that. I also remember

They could be worried that with the extreeme lack of back pressure they
will not be able to get the tune rich enough, thus the bike will run
lean. And of course a lean running bike will run warmer, chew up the oil
quicker, go through spark plugs a bit quicker and generally live a short
life, at least AFAIK. After all the FI is open loop.

So if they load the tune in, let you go off on your way and the engine
dies in 5-10k miles, the might be worried about a painful waranty claim
process.

Atleast that would be my thinking if I was a mechanic.

OF COURSE, if that was their thinking they could have tried  to down
load the tuine and measure the CO to see if they could get it rich
enough??

So you never know. And after all I AM NOT ACTUALLY A MECHANIC, so YMMV.

random dribbles,
Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 10 months old, 15,700 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500