Re: [ST] Front plates for Aussies

On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 12:15  am, ksmith955 wrote:

> Evenin' all.  We don't have front plates here in UK, which is quite
> handy as
> it opens up the opportunity for a little innocent fun with Gatso
> cameras.
>
> Here's what you do.  To check if one is working, you just ride hard
> towards
> to see if you can trigger the flash.  If you do, you know to ride like
> a law
> abiding citizen when you go through it the other way.  As it is , you
> have
> no worries because it is virtually impossible to ID a bike from the
> front,
> especially if you're wearing shades or a dark visor.

A source on the Ixion list said that ones that flash in the wrong
direction are fakes.

This is confirmed by a Surrey County Council policy document
( http://ww2.surreycc.gov.uk/env/environ.nsf/d2146fb49a55836480256721003979f3/
d1b9277d23c11bd20025676300637d9c/$FILE/Campoly.doc )

that says:

12	Each speed site shall be fitted with a dummy unit for use when the
camera is not in place.  When dummy units are in place the flash
operates when a violation is recorded in either direction. The camera
currently only operates in one direction, taking photographs of the rear
of the vehicle.

They move the real cameras between locations so what may be a dummy in
the morning may be real by the evening.

Some places are introducing forward facing systems which use infra-red
flashes though I haven't seen one yet.

Dave