Re: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian D" <brd@xxxxxxx>
To: <st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery

> Still, you can't see where the two meet because it's obstructed by the
> case.  So, I made a reference mark on the timing gear on the end of
the
> camshaft and a corresponding one on the end of the balance shaft.
They
> seem to rotate 1:1, but they never line up!

Actually, if what my manual says is correct, they will only line up once
in a great while.  The gear you see on the balance shaft isn't the
driven gear; it's a thin gear in front of the driven gear, called the
"backlash eliminator" gear.  It has one tooth less than the driven gear.
There's a long description about how to align the eliminator gear with
the balance shaft driven gear, then detailed description about aligning
the balance shaft driven gear with the crankshaft drive gear.  They
state in one sentence that, if you "rotate the crankshaft one turn after
aligning the gears, they won't line up anymore, so do not be alarmed by
it".

- -Keith
'00 RS