Re: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:31:17PM -0500, Michael Young wrote:
> [...]

Yes, you're right.  I should at least see what they have to offer.  I
plan to go down there and talk to them tomorrow.  I don't expect much,
however, because of a few items.

One problem is that the bike is out of warranty and has been for almost
a year now.

Another is that they didn't do the rebuild when I owned it, but for the
Previous Owner.  Shortly after getting the bike, while it still had a
month or two of warranty left, I reported the vibration to them.  One of
the employees there told me the vibration was due to "different bearings
used during the rebuild that aren't quite as tight as the original ones"
and was acceptable.  Unfortunately, I didn't get my complaint or his
reply in writing or anything.

A biggie is that I can't prove that the balance shaft IS out of synch,
since no alignment marks were made.  All I can prove is that the tech
didn't assemble it correctly, since marking is part of the specified
procedure.  I can also show that my two marks that I made never align or
get close to being aligned when rotating the engine by hand.

Even if they believe it is out of alignment, I don't know what's to keep
them from saying, "It could have jumped a tooth recently.  So sorry."

Nevertheless, I will approach them and see what they have to say about
it.  I feel like I should have something in mind that I expect from
them.  At the moment, I'm not sure what that is.  An offer to tear it
down, fix it, and reassemble at no charge would be nice, but I don't
think that's realistic.  Maybe they will surprise me with some sort of
discount, or reduced rate, or something.  Not that I could probably
afford even a reduced rate for the what? 10-15 hours of labor.  Maybe
I'll ask them if they'll order me the parts/tools needed for the job at
their cost or a discount.

It can't hurt, I guess.

Laters,
Brian