Re: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 08:00:41PM -0600, Dan Wallander wrote:
> I will also go so far to say that I just copied the text from the manual.
> Since I haven't done this job myself, I cannot argue for or against its
> accuracy.

I realize you were just repeating the information.  I now have a
borrowed copy of the manual and it's exactly as you said.  The steps
appear correct to me, or would be if the proper aligning marks had been
made.

The guy at RPM was flat-out wrong when he told me you could see if the
gears line up correctly by just removing the clutch cover.  Something
else that scares me is that he said "there is no balance shaft plug".
Maybe it's been a while since he's worked on one himself, since he's the
shop mgr and not a mechanic, but still that disturbs me.

> Before you start taking your engine out, though, I would strongly
> suggest reading the Triumph manual several times before starting.

Tom was nice enough to come over here and loan me his copy.  I've spent
the last hour or so reading through the engine section twice.

> The Haynes manual may have some things the Triumph manual doesn't
> cover.  It may be a good idea to get that one too.

Yeah, you're probably right about that.

Laters,
Brian
- --