Re: backlash eliminator(Re: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery)

- -----Original Message-----
From: Brian D <brd@xxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 July 2002 16:38
Subject: backlash eliminator(Re: [ST] help! balance shaft mystery)

>On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:00:54PM -0700, Keith Winter wrote:

There's a similar arrangement on the alternator drive gear which is hidden
behind the clutch basket.
When you take the clutch off you can see more clearly what's going on as you
can see more of it.
 Basically there's 2 gears of the same diameter, one with an extra tooth,
and the wider/thicker  one is attched to the alternator shaft & does the
driving.
The other thin idler gear is free to rotate on the shaft, but is loaded
axially to provide friction between the 2 gears, which means the tooth on
the driving gear is lightly gripped by the 2 driven gears, getting rid of
backlash vibrations.

The teeth on the 2 driven gears always pretty much line up where they engage
the driving gear. At 180 degrees to where they engage they are 1/2 tooth out
of registration.

So the trouble with the balance shaft timing is that you can't see the line
on the balance shaft gear because it's hidden behind the thin idler gear. If
you could see the gears @ 180 degrees ie @ the front of the motor then you
could see the back tooth.
  What Haynes suggests is that when you rebuild you align the lines on the 2
gears just so you can tell where the inside gear line is by looking at the
outside gear line. It also suggests that you put a on line the edge of the
thick balance gear where Triumph should have put it in the first place so
you can check it dead easy next time.

It may just be possible to see the line on the balance gear by peering
further round the gear pair towards the 180 degree point - I'm about to
check this w/e
Hope this helps
Jez

End of st-digest V2002 #393