Re: [ST] RE: help! balance shaft mystery

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan West <jwratmaster@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 July 2002 17:09
Subject: [ST] RE: help! balance shaft mystery

Brian,
Seems to me that Triumph had a few of these balance shafts actually
misalign themselves as the end gear on early (?) models (Daytonas too)
was only a press fit.  I am told they have since been spot welding them
in addition to the press fit to keep the gear from rotating on the
shaft.
Jonathan,
Thanks for that information - I've been trying to find that out re my
vibration problem and only getting sketchy answers.
That would explain why there's checking marks on the crankcase and the end
of the shaft. Trouble is if you've got no marks on the end of the balance
shaft, and the shaft has slippped round relative to the driving gear, then
the timing marks on the gear tell you nothing.

Jez