[ST] Re: Warning on Frame Sliders, was RE: [ST] Another plug for Skyking Products.

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Sanford, John" <JSanford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 5:16 PM
Subject: Warning on Frame Sliders, was RE: [ST] Another plug for Skyking
Products.

> After my gravity storm in March, I was going to get frame sliders as part
of
> the repair/service effort.  Fortunately/unfortunately, the dealership
forgot
> to order them (fortunate 'cause I was running out of dough!).  When the
> subject came up, Mickey told me that the sliders are all fine and dandy
when
> you have a very low speed drop.  However, as the speed goes up, the
sliders
> can end up causing MORE damage because they're attached to the engine
cases,

> I don't know for sure if this is true for all sliders, any sliders, or
just
> some sliders, but more investigation into the subject is warranted.  How
do
> sliders change the damage equation in 20,30,40 or faster lowsides?

Aside from putting all the load on the frame, possibly tweaking it off true,
I'd worry about the energy that didn't scrub off from grinding the plastic.

Nobody knows for sure, and no two wrecks are the same. I had an off at 70
mph; the bike slid 300 feet on its side and ended up still on the road and
paved shoulder. Strangely, the insurance totalled it, about $6000 in
repairs, they said. Still can't figure that one out.

It almost certainly would have slid farther on a slider, carrying its energy
farther. I imagine it could have slid clear off the shoulder, maybe hit the
guard rail and flipped. Instead of grinding the plastic on one side only,
you smash all the plastic on both sides. They'd probably total that, too.

I think of the fairings as sacrificial protection for the mechanicals. Frame
sliders would probably help at low speed, but I still have panniers to worry
about. Something is going to need paint if it goes down. The gear shift or
brake lever is almost certainly toast either way.

End of st-digest V2002 #394