Re: [ST] Re: Tyre poll again

To add some data on tires.........

Just back from a long trip (Atlanta to Maine and back - 4300 miles).

Replaced BT-57 rear OEM tire w/020 at 4800 mi. Front BT-57 was replaced at
6k. (also with 020).

Unexpectedly, rear had to be replaced at odo 10.5k mark (6700 mi on tire)
during trip. Was hoping to get the 10k-12k that some folks seem to get out
of a rear tire. But I'm not too disappointed. Still the most mileage I've
ever gotten out of a rear tire. The tire still looked good at the 6k mile
mark but quickly went downhill forcing an unscheduled stop in Boston on way
home to Atlanta. The dealer (Riverside Triumph/Ducati) didn't have any high
mileage type of tires - no Dunlop 205, Bstone 020, Michelin Macadam100, etc
so I had to settle for a Michelin Pilot Sport. I probably could have found
something more suitable if I had had the time (and was familiar w/Boston)
but It actually worked surprisingly well. In fact, the Michelin, being
taller than the B'stone for the size (180x55x17) sharpened up the
turn-in/handling almost to the point of being "twitchy" (a characteristic I
tend to like when it comes to turn-in handling). For the rest of the 1100
miles home, it proved satisfactory - mostly interstate and wet/dry mixed
conditions.

I liked the way the 020's ran on the bike. Only real complaint is/was how
they feel when running down a highway with a lot of roadsnakes -seem to get
a bit looser on 'em than other tires I've run on before. The front, after 6k
miles, looks like it was mounted yesterday. Just baffled as to why/how some
can get 10k-12k out of a rear tire and I can't. I'm going to keep a close
eye on the Mich Sport. And if I can get mileage equivalent to the OEM BT-57
out of it (~5k miles), I'll seriously consider next time just opting for the
Mich's when it's gone. If it's not going to last appreciably longer, might
opt out of a "high-mileage" type and just go for "performance".

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA#90
Duc 748
'99 Triumph ST (red)