Re: [ST] speedo problem

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 RGilyard@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Speedometer reading is jumping around wildly. Searched archives and found
> nothing. Any ideas?

I had a problem that was caused presumably by the previous owner washing
the bike with a pressure washer, in that the cylindrical magnet that is
spun by the "wings" on the wheel that engages the drive "froze up".

Take your speedo drive off of the wheel and see if the magnet can
turn.  If not, use a small flat blade to pry it out as best you can
without gouging into it too bad, clean and dry it out, and put in a layer
of white lithium grease.

Also check that those "wings" are bent up to their proper position, I'm
sure that the resistance to turning or stoppage of the magnet would result
in them flattening a bit.

I've been checking mine every time I have the wheel off, and do notice
that there are some beads of water in there so I'd assume this is
something we all need to be checking on in regular intervals.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail