Re: [ST] Motorycle salvage yards??

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <rmcclaran@xxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 2:10 PM
Subject: [ST] Motorycle salvage yards??

> Recently a lister described totalling out his ST. I'm
> wondering what happens to those bikes, and their usable
> parts, after the insurance company takes them away. Seems
> like someone somewhere would parting them out and selling
> them off. Anybody know where old wrecked Triumphs go?

They go to auction houses. Someone else will buy it and fix it, or buy it
and part it out. Somebody got a steal on mine.

My experience with Progressive was very positive. They had a repair estimate
before the week was out, and was willing to write the pay out check that
very moment. They paid average new retail for the bike, full list on the 3
bag set, and replacement cost of the trashed gear. I was out sales tax and
registration fees. Counting depreciation and 3800 miles on the YOM '01, I
came out a little ahead. I still have a few hundred in uncovered medical
expenses to submit, but I expect they'll cover it.

The renewal notice came in the mail a few days ago. The rate change reflects
only the newer '02 on the policy. I have to say I'm very pleasantly
surprised. If you absolutely must smack your skull and trash your bike, this
wasn't a bad way to do it.