Re: [ST] "You meet the nicest people..."

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Steve Lawler wrote:

> "...on a Triumph. If I may say so myself."
>
> This past saturday I took the Blue Devil in for it's 6K service. It just
> happened to be Freehold Triumph's sport bike day. While waiting, I was
> able to demo a couple of bikes. First was the Triumph TT600. First
> impression: this thing is a slug. I imagine that after some miles I
> would find where the engine is at its happiest; I suspect that it is up
> around 8K. Next was the Ducati 748. YEOW, that seat is hard as a rock. A
> kleenex on the seat would be a big improvement. But I could see myself
> getting plenty-o-tickets on that bike! But, boy, does that seat ever

What, for doing the speed limit :-)

I test road a 900SS a couple of years ago, my ZX9r could do a better 0-60
starting in 3rd gear than the 900SS. Duc's might handle very well, but
they do not have a lot of power, torque or HP. The newer 998 and 999 seem
to be getting some where. But as far as stock machines, I've always liken
Ducati to HD, expensive to maintain, and unless you put $$$$$, your not going
to touch the Japanese (British) equivelent.

I would suggest that the TT600, felt slower, simply because it was smoother,
more comfortable (in a bit way IIRC) and probably quieter in stock trim.

The but'O'meter can be very much fooled by vibration, noise and such.

> He comes back with my papers and a ticket. Ah crap. And I thought that I
> was pleasant. He explains that 15 over is a $98 fine plus 2 or 3 points.
>   "But because you are a gentleman and have a clean driving record I'm
> only writing you up for 'Failure to obey a traffic sign.'" In NJ this a
> a no point violation and only a $44 fine. I would have been happier with
> an equipment violation but I guess I can't complain. Had I not been a
> gentleman on a Triumph I probably would have been given the speeding ticket.

Glad to hear to didn't get screwed to badly.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 14 months old, 21,400 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500