[ST] Re: Eye Injuries (was motorycle salvage yards)

A month ago I was riding with my shield open while wearing glasses, and
thought that would be enough to protect me.  Boy was I wrong.  I managed
to get a small piece of rusting metal in my eye that didn't come out on
its own or with washing, and I ended up having to have it removed (along
with a bunch of the top layer of my eye) by an ophthalmologist in an
emergency procedure 48 hours later.

I was basically blind for days, and in truly horrendous pain (this
coming from someone who's experienced both kidney stones and a fractured
spine before...) for 72 hours or so.  It's been over a month now, and I
still wake up sometimes with pain in that eye. Lesson: Do not ride
without your shield up at any speed, and do not think that plain glasses
will protect you - they'd better be sealed (i.e. goggles or riding
glasses with a wind block/seal).

 -- Jim