[ST] Speedo wiring

Dan Wallander wrote:

>The Odometer and the Speedometer on the ST's are electronic.  The
>Speedometer reads from the front wheel pickup which sends its signal to the
>speedometer.  It does not appear that this reading is affected by the ECM
as
>I can't see a wire (in the wiring diagram) going from the ECM to the
>Speedometer.  The Odometer picks up its reading from the ECM. I don't have
>anything that tells me what the bikes computer actually does in there so
>can't say how the ECM determines what to send to the odometer.

The wire from the ECM to the speedo unit is probably the switched power
signal that makes the odometer go blank when you turn off the ignition.  I
would expect the odometer to calculate distance by counting pulses from the
front wheel pickup, just like the speedo.  The speedo counts pulses per
second, the odometer counts total pulses.

Neil

End of st-digest V2002 #414