[ST] Tweaking speedos

bare wrote:

>On the old analog speedos, the speed reading and the odometer were
>independent. The odometer was a straight mechanical geared drive and not
>adjustable short of changing the gearing. The speedo, on the other hand was
>driven by a spinning rotor that pulled a magnet on the needle shaft. This
>was adjustable by varying the gap between the rotor and shaft. I don't know
>how the electronic ones work, but I assume they have the same type of
>adjustability. My old analog equipped T3 Speed Triple speedo was just as
>optimistic as the RS's, but the odos were quite accurate on both.

I replaced my km/h speedo with an mph unit when I imported my ST from
Germany to the UK.  The speedo is a sealed unit; the black ring that
surrounds the dial is crimped onto the plastic body and there are no
adjusters visible.  I expect someone with a knowledge of electronics could
uncrimp the ring and fiddle with the circuits to see if the speedo can be
adjusted without upsetting the odometer...I suppose the speedo is an analog
drive so there may be adjustment on the digital to analog converter...but I
wasn't interested enough to try opening up my old speedo, as I already had a
Sigma BC-800.

Neil