[ST] RE: Scottoiler

> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 00:30:29 EDT
> From: TrmpetDave@xxxxxxx
>
> > can anyone offer any hints & tips on where to put the RMV and how
> > easy (or not) it is to fit.
>
> It is important to have the
> outlet tube of the oiler drip on the outside of the chain about
> 1/2" behind
> where it meets the rear sprocket to minimize splashing  to the
> brake disc,
> which is only 4" away. As the instructions point out, the oil will pass
> towards the inner side of the chain by capillary action. I think
> having the
> disc that close to the rear sprocket is a design error inherent in the
> single-sided swing arm, as some oil inevitably gets to the disc,
> no matter
> what kind  or method of lubrication is used.

Guys,

Bar far the easiest (and arguably neatest) solution for fitting a Scottoiler
is to use a High Capacity Reservoir (HCR), which holds the RMV and carries
the rear number/license [sic] plate. This is a 'fit and forget' option, as
the oil lasts so long... I've only used half a tank in 10 kmiles.

Regarding the mounting of the delivery tube, mine touches the rear sprocket,
and can be seen to be drawing underneath the rollers to the other side
(http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/keith.tynan/gallery/SprintST/scottoiler-delivery
.jpg) making the company's newest offering of a double delivery tube
unnecessary.

Regarding cross-pollination to the brake disc: I find the delivery rates of
Scottoilers quite critical: too little and there's no point in having one.
Too much, and you get two sets of symptoms: one is general clag around the
back end of the bike - which variously finds its way onto the bike parts,
the tyre and the brake disc. The other is (having run it on 'prime' for
longer than I should after the Winter recess - doh!) excess oil dripping
down from the pinion housing and blowing forward (yes it does!) along the
sump flange! I mis-diagnosed this as sump gasket failure (the oil path is
hard to detect against the black engine castings).

IMHO, the setting should be MUCH less than the recommended 2 drips per
minute. I would say just enough to give a visible oil mist on the rollers.
Also, recheck for every 5 deg C variance in temperature, as the oil does
thin out.

HTH

Regards,
- --