[ST] Suspension longevity

Enough about the tyres, well almost.

I ran BT-020's with excellent results. Average wear of 6800 miles from each,
but I only changed them at 8,000. (My bad.) Now on Metzeler Sportec M-1, and
despite the apparent higher wear rate (looking like I'll only get about 4500
miles), I'll never go back to a harder compound. LOVE THESE THINGS!

Now to my question: How long has the stock suspension on your ST or RS
lasted? I have a 2000 RS, and it seems my suspenders are weakening fast. I
had never adjusted the rear, but when I rode with my son last weekend, I
decided he'd gained enough weight that it was time to dial up the pre-load.
Kinda crunchy, but it did turn. The rebound damping is another story. I got
about 2/3 of one turn total movement. Not good. No real noticeable
difference in ride.

I've been riding a little harder lately, the result of the added confidence
sticky tires gives you. As a consequence, the shortcomings of the stock
suspension have come to light OR, it's just plain worn out. I'm about 220lbs
(100kg?) with all my gear on. My son doesn't ride with me much any more, but
he's about 90lbs.

My RS now has 27,500 (trouble-free) miles, and I wonder if it's "Ohlins
time" for the rear and "Race Tech time" for the forks. Any thoughts?

Ken M.
'00RS