[ST] Re:Poor fuel consumption

G'day Everyone,
    Thanks for the advice Dan, i pulled the airbox off and checked for any
obstructions, nope. The air filter looks in pretty good shape but i think
i'll change it to a K&N when i finally get the bike in for a service. The
chain was looking pretty rough with a few tight spots but the sprockets look
perfect, so i replaced the chain only. I had new tyres fitted, a BT010 on
the front and BT020 on the rear, i figure the BT010 will give me better
stick on the front. Generally i get 3 rear tyres to 1 front out here as we
don't have many corners, so i figure if i get 2 rears to 1 front with this
combination i'll be happy.  The gearing was as per the factory with a 19
tooth front sprocket.
  So, i went for a long ride yesterday (approx 500 miles). With my trusty
pillion the bike managed an average 46mpg for the trip at an average of  85
mph. It's better but still not up to the 50 mpg i should expect. The bike
handles pretty well with the new tyres but still gets an annoying wiggle
from the rear when tipping into a corner. It happens only occasionally so
maybe it's just the way the bike reacts to certain bits of road?
Out of curiosity, what effects can i expect from low or uneven fork oil
levels? I've been meaning to replace the oil but havn't checked it yet, also
what type and quantity is reccomended?
Now for a bitch, i found that the low fuel warning light and gauge
consistantly tell me i'm low on fuel when the tank is still a third full!
It's a real PITA, how do i fix this?
TIA
Regards
Bill Wilkin