[ST] Re: ST Oil Level

a quart in 1000mls id definitely not normal, if its not 'leaking' from
somewhere it must smoke like a diesel from the rear! Make sure you check the
oil breather / air box for excess oil. If there is a surplus, its the
crankcase breather oil-seal (behind cover on left-side of engine) mine went
US of late which coincided with an increase in oil-consumption. Changing the
seal has stopped this, mind Triumph charge a kings ransom for the dime sized
item!

Might sound an odd question but was the 'correct' oil used during the
'running-in' period? Triumph recommend fully-synthetic for the ST but if you
use that during the running-in period it prevents the engine internals from
'bedding-in' together. This can glaze the cylinder bores leading to
increased oil-consumption. Triumph acknowledge this and have a 'special' oil
that they normally use during the 'running-in' period.

I must admit that although I have done less than 5K on my Sprint ST so far,
(increasing rapidly with a trip around Europe from next week) the later '5'
Series motors / bikes do not appear to be as reliable/strong as the earlier
T3's. I have a 93 Trident with 46K on the clock and several extensive
European trips behind it. Its never missed a beat, never used a drop of oil
and never broken down. Admittedly its not as refined as the ST etc, but
Triumph sure did make a good job of their earlier bikes; I have heard the
phrase 'over-engineered' used, sounds like a good idea to me!

Regards
UK Dave