brakepad mileage and rotors(Re: [ST] bleeding brakes)

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 06:57:37PM -0500, Brian D wrote:
> In inspecting my brakes this evening, I let one of the pistons come too
> far out, leaking brake fluid all over.  This, of course, introduced air
> into the line.
>
> So, I'm going to go out and buy some DOT 4 fluid and flush/bleed the
> system.  Any advice on doing this, before I start?

I forgot to also mention how surprised I to discover my pads did not
need replacing yet.  With 20k miles on the bike, I figured it was
probably time to do them and bought a new set.  When I got the old ones
out, I discovered that there was still a bit of depth left in the wear
groove, and the total material was just slightly less than half that of
a new pad.

I'm thinking I'll replace them anyway "while I'm at it", but is it
necessary?  Do the pads get hardened or glazed after a while, or do the
stock pads just have a hard compound that lasts a long time?  Granted, I
do a lot of touring.

Also, is it possible to check for warped rotors with them on the bike?
I've noticed a slight vibration under braking lately.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)