[ST] Time for new sprockets and chain

Hello to all,

At 18,000 km my original Regina chain and sprockets are bagged, and I'd like
to be more confident in my replacement/upgrade plan.  My ST is a '99, and as
such has an 18/43 sprocket set.  I'd like to replace the front with the OEM
18-tooth sprocket to retain the rubber shock-absorber that I gather cannot
be obtained from a third-party supplier (unless anyone knows better of
course).  I'd also like to increase the number of teeth on the rear sprocket
by two to get a bit more zip in the lower gears and perhaps more
'tractability' (for lack of a better word) at low speed.  Weight is not an
important concern and steel will maximize the wear potential on the rear.  I
also understand that increasing the number of teeth on the rear instead of
drooping a tooth on the front is better from a wear perspective and that
this will also avoid the possiblity that the chain could rub on the plastic
protector that sits on the top of the SS swingarm.  So far so good.

I plan to go for the DID 530ZVM X-Ring chain.  I have a few concerns about
this choice of chain.  In the catalogue that my shop referred to it showed a
number of 530ZVM chains. The OEM chain has 108 links.

My first concern is that I can still use this number of links given the
increase in rear sprocket size.  I don't mind if the wheelbase is shortened
a tad (this should improve the turn-in rate from what I've heard), but I'd
sure hate to find that the chain is too short.

The second concern is that in the catalogue, the chain prior to, and the
chain listed right after the 108-link item both state a superior tensile
strength of 10,400 (not sure of the units are), but there is no such spec
for the 108-link item, or any of the other chains listed in that section.
The two that quote this strength are also considerably more expensive as I
recall.  On the other hand ALL the 530ZVM chains are grouped together as
having the same wear factor, which I thought would tend to suggest that they
are all made from the same material.  I have asked the parts guy for
clarification, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone else knows
what's going on.  Perhaps it's just a problem with this particular
distributor's catalogue, but the price difference is a bit puzzling.

The final concern is that by shortening the overall gearing I might end up
being forced to cruise along in the upper gears between 5000 and 5500 rpm,
where there tends to be a bit of engine vibration.  I don't recall exactly
what rpm it occurs at but I'll bet most of you know that there is a point
where the vibration is more noticeable.  Currently I only pass through this
spot, but I'd rather not be forced to sit there for long periods.

Any help would be appreciated,
Neil