Re: [ST] dealer charge for tunes

Dave -

Each dealer is an independent businessperson - they can charge whatever they
deem appropriate.

Many dealers will charge nothing for a tune update if the bike is on the
bench for a tuneup or other significant job.  The labor required for the tune
update is incremental and is easy to "piggyback" onto another job.

If - on the other hand, all you want is the tune update.  A mechanic will
probably spend 15-30 minutes real time to accomplish the task, and many
dealers believe that this justifies a labor charge.  This takes into account
the time it takes to write a ticket, find the tool, position the bike - blah
blah blah.  While the tune is actually downloading the tech is probably on
the back porch sneaking a smoke.  Someone has to pay for that time.  It's
always ultimately going to be the customer.

You may agree or disagree with the dealers justification for charging for
certain work - but they have the right to set their own rates for work
performed.

Cheers,
Road Dawg