[ST] RE: st-digest V2002 #322

The final concern is that by shortening the overall gearing I might end up
being forced to cruise along in the upper gears between 5000 and 5500 rpm,
where there tends to be a bit of engine vibration.  I don't recall exactly
what rpm it occurs at but I'll bet most of you know that there is a point
where the vibration is more noticeable.  Currently I only pass through this
spot, but I'd rather not be forced to sit there for long periods.

Any help would be appreciated,
Neil

Cruising between 5000-5500 hasn't been a problem on my RS, which equates to
80-85 indicated (18/43). I run in that range most of the time. I don't have
any vibration problem with vibration.
As far as the chain and gearing goes, I'm not sure what Michael meant by
"prime," but the usual gearing is set up to an uneven quotient between the
sprockets so the chain doesn't continually engage the same teeth. 18/45
sounds odd enough at 2.5. I don't think the 108 chain will work on the 45
tooth sprocket, go for a 110. It's always easier to shorten one than
lengthen it.
Bare