Re: [ST] re: Chain Tension

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 12:02:04AM -0700, Tony B. wrote:
> Now that I hear mention of the rubbing strip wearing
> towards the rear of the bike I dont feel alone. I have
> 16K/mi on mine and it has worn to the point that I
> have had to order one with the sprockets (Jack Lilly)
>
> I have the 19/43 (and am sticking with the 19/43)
> combo and have kept it tensioned correctly but it has
> worn so much now that it rattles quite audibly during
> deceleration right back from the chain area. I noticed
> that it has ground right down into a mounting screw. I
> also notice that since I started hearing the rattling
> it wont keep chain adjustment for more than about 200
> miles. Anyone else have this happen, how to aboid this
> besides the proper and normal maintainance?

If you have 16k miles on your chain, too, it's probably near the end
of its lifespan.  It may have tight spots which make adjusting it
difficult.  At 14k miles (and 200 miles from home :| ), my chain started
snatching and was so stretched I couldn't back the adjuster out enough.
1/2 hour of labor later (sorry, Tom, couldn't resist that jab) and I was
good to go with a new chain from Lonestar BMW/Triumph in Austin.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)