Re: [ST] Help w/Oil Filter!!!

As a matter of fact I have been there twice, on both bikes the filter
was put on by RPM. My guess is that they did not coat the rubber ring
with oil first, just like dear old dad told you to do.

Grab the correct oil filter nut thing, I think the filters are size U,
or H, anyway take the new filter to Pep boys for sizing. Now drill a
pilot hole in the side of the oil nut/socket/wrench onto the old filter
in question. Then completely screw a sheet metal/self taping screw
through the pilot hole into the filter and tighten.

Gentley apply pressure, the filter might tear a bit, but it will grab.
If you are lucky you will also put the screw through the extra
reinforcing metal near the end of the filter.

First one I did I went to far down the side of the filter, second was
perfect. Either way, don't jurk it around and you it should come right off
with enough pressure.

As far as putting the screw into the filter, I highly recomend pulling
out the drill, let it do the turning so you can concentrate on the
angle. Anyway self taping screws/machine screws need a bit of help to
get going in.

It works, Manuel and Brian where amazed when we first tried it on
Brian's bike.

Manuel was ready with a 3lb sledge and a screw driver, Brian was
obviously very nearvous!

pictures are at
http://emberson.net/bikes/screens/oil_change.html

this one shows it the best
http://emberson.net/bikes/screens/oil_change_4.jpg

let us know, and I hope you don't have to take it back to the monkeys.

And of course please have a great time at the ralley, I've been trying
desperately to figure out how I can get the time off to go, but sadly no
luck. I would like to buy a T-shirt if there are and XXL's left. I will
be at the eastern rally, already told management that is going to
happen!

Tom

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Lisa Borgfeld White wrote:

> Richard TRIED to change his oil tonight in preparation for leaving
> FRIDAY for Colorado, and the IDIOTS who changed it last at the shop for
> his 30,000 mile service tightened his oil filter too tight and he can't
> get it off after 40 minutes of trying.  Both he and I could spit fire
> right now.  Needless to say, getting the bike to the shop and back
> before Friday will cause SERIOUS problems. We already weren't happy with
> that shop and now we REALLY aren't going back.
>
> He's stripped out the normal filter remover.  The band style remover
> won't fit up in there, and he's uncomfortable with sticking a
> screwdriver throught it, considering the space he has to work in. . . .
>
> Any hints on how to loosen that damn thing???  Any and all hints will be
> gratefully appreciated!!
>
> Lisa

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 14 months old, 21,400 miles)
 '00 Yamaha WR400F
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500