[ST] 12k Tune Cost & Dealer Billing Practices

Ok, so I got the 12k tune on my 2000 ST today at SoCal Triumph (in Brea,
CA), and it was $600, plus another $100 to replace the air filter and
rear brake pads (I have no idea how they could've worn out... I don't
think I've ever worn out a set of rear pads before at least 2 sets of
fronts on the other bikes I've owned...), bringing the total price to
$700.  This raises two big questions in my mind.

First, is that a typical price, or higher than normal for that tune?
 I've never had any scheduled maintenance, including one with valve
adjustments, cost more than $3-400 on any Japanese bike, and I have to
say I was less than pleasantly surprised to see this one run so much
more.  My dad, a former Ducati and now Moto Guzzi owner, thinks it's not
that abnormal for Euro bikes, but it seems really high to me, so I just
want a sanity check...

Secondly, the shop estimated the price of the tune on the basis of 7.5
hours of labor, and charged me for that, even though the bike was only
even at the shop location for less than 7 hours, ride-in to ride-out
(left bike in the shop parking lot at just before 9:30, arrived back at
shop to pick it up at 4:20).  Even if one assumes that the very second I
walked out, they started working on it, and worked on it all day, not
taking lunch, or anything else, the mechanic could not physically have
worked more than 7 hours on it, and what do you think the likelihood is
he started instantly when I rode it in and they already had bikes in
both of the chocks?  Much more likely it sat for an hour before they
started on it, and sat while the mechanic ate lunch, leaving 5 to 6
hours at most, not including anything he did on other bikes today.

I asked both the mechanic and the payment-person directly about the
hours on the bill, and pointed out that the bike clearly couldn't have
been worked on for this long (I asked, and only one mechanic worked on
it, plus mine was obviously not the only bike he worked on today as
there were other bikes in the lifts both when I showed up and when I
left).  The response was a claim that this was just the "standard
charge" which is irrespective of actual hours worked, and just a
function of their billing system, and that this mechanic was faster than
others anyway (apparently implying that I would somehow have paid even
more than the estimate for someone else?), but this does not sit well
with me.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I've gotten plenty of other estimates on
vehicle work, and never had someone tell me to my face that they were
going to charge me for the full cost of an hourly labor based estimate
even though it obviously included hours that were not actually worked.
 If there's a "standard price" for the given service which is truly
irrespective of hours, then I've paid that plenty of times, but I don't
think I normally get bills that consist primarily of hours worked which
are clearly and admittedly not - their service "estimate" is apparently
actually a floor to the price, not an estimate in the conventional
sense.  Am I crazy here in thinking that it is not an entirely ethical
business practice to charge for ostensibly hourly labor with posted
labor rates and then deliberately and systematically charge for hours
not actually worked?  Is this common practice, and if so, does anyone
know of shops in the L.A. area that don't do it?

 -- Jim