[ST] Exhaust Bumper

While performing a Spring cleaning and detailing this morning, I noticed
something on my 01 ST that seemed a bit odd.  There is a rubber bumper on a
bracket on the exhaust pipe just fore of the silencer.  It appears the
function of this is to hit the frame when the suspension compresses.
However, this piece of rubber was pushed in from the bottom which didn't
appear to make any sense whatsoever.  Am I correct in assuming the function
of this whozit?  And shouldn't it be installed from the top of the bracket
so it hits the frame?   Just curious.   And I did reverse it.

Trying to decide tomorrow's ride....Wilson River Highway to the beach and
back via 18,  or 224 up the Clackamas River then down to Detroit Lake and
back via North Santiam Hwy....decisions, decisions.....

Regards,
Eric
Portland, OR
'01 BRG ST