Re: [ST] Prices

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 01:34:33PM -0400, Erik Miner wrote:
> Attention!  If you want to save $$$ on services then look in the
> owners manual.  Have the dealer do what's required BUT do the things
> you can yourself. Then give them an ala carte list of what you want
> them to do! As an example the 12K service includes the chain being
> checked and adjusted..  I think we can all agree that we can all
> do that our selves. The 12 K also includes lots of small things
> that should be checked, clutch cable adjustment, pad wear check,
> etc.. Also part of the 12k is an oil change.. that is something we
> can all do and would knock a good $75.00 off the tab... I like my
> dealer but I don't need a $60.00 an hour tech checking and adjusting
> my chain or clutch cable!

Good advice.  Not only because you save money, but more importantly
because then you KNOW it was actually done.  In short, nobody cares more
about your bike than you do.

I have strong suspicions that the dealer I took my bike to for 12k did
not do much more than change the oil.  They told me they checked the
valves.  I know for a fact they didn't synch the TB's because they told
me it didn't need it and they wouldn't do it.  It's on the freaking
schedule, plus I asked them to check it.  There was over a centimeter
difference when I looked at them (granted, 10 mos later, but I bet they
were off at least somewhat back then).  I doubt they put a new air
filter in, but I didn't check immediately after.  Fork oil?  Maybe,
but I don't know.  Check fuel system for leaks?  I replaced a plastic
fitting on the fuel tank a few months later (maybe it wasn't weeping
back then, maybe).  Check fasteners for tightness.  On a trip a month or
two later, I lost 3 fairing screws.

I bet a lot of these "check" or "inspect" items, as well as some of the
bigger ones, get done half-assed or skimmed over during the service
trying to cut corners and save costs.  A lot of these items are on that
list for your safety.

I suppose you could insist that you be allowed to watch the service
being performed, but some places won't let you in the shop area.  Also,
there's a good week's wait to have your bike worked on sometimes, so you
pretty much have to leave it.

Laters,
Brian
- --