Re: [ST] recommends on GPS units...........

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend mounted on my top yoke. I posted some pictures
of the installation about two months ago. Alternatively, I have a RAM-mount
clamped under the front tank bolt that I usually use for the digital camera.
The Etrex can mount there easily with the right parts (about $30 total from
GPS City). Part numbers and details if you're interested.

Cost is about $250. Power cable is $30 from GPS City. Otherwise, 2-AA nicads
last about 6 hours; alkalines a bit longer. The base map detail has most
state and county roads, and I haven't come across a town that wasn't in its
names database. You can download street level detail from Garmin's map
software, about $100. I haven't tried it, but expect it to be more fuss than
actually useful. The PC connection is via a 9 pin serial cable. Data
transfer is limited to 9600 baud, I think. It might be faster with their own
software; I did a firmware upgrade at 56 kbps, but it took several tries.
(That's a real nail biter; has the potential of zapping the unit.)

It works well with Street Atlas 5; newer versions will probably work just as
well if not better. I upload way points when planning trips, and download
tracks afterward to see where I've been.

The unit is small, solidly built, and immersible, not simply waterproof.

Dislikes: the screen is a bit small. It's difficult to read the road numbers
on the map while riding. This isn't a major distraction, since I mark
turn-offs with way points. It doesn't work well in a tank bag map pocket
because its buttons are on the sides. The buttons are arranged to work best
one handed held in the left hand. Accessories are expensive.

Overall, a GPS with map is the best touring accessory I've bought yet. It's
a serendipity machine: just follow the pavement to see where it'll take you.
You can mark interesting places so you can find it again, and you have the
security of knowing which way to roll when the fuel light comes on.

Mike.