RE: [ST] recommends on GPS units...........

I bought a Garmin III+ last August. I've used it on the bike (RAM mount),
hiking, skiing, and in the cage. I'm happy with it. The unit itself
functions well and intuitively. The screen size is smaller than some units,
but IMO the compact size lends itself to many more uses both on the bike and
off. I've found the base maps almost always adequete.

While I've been pleased with the GPS, the 'extras' that you must buy are
irritating. When I bought the III+, just a data cable was supplied. I needed
to buy a power cable separate, and they aren't cheap! The power and data
cables look exactly the same, they just choose to not put both sets of wires
in one cable. Dumb. A power cable on a bike is a MUST. The batteries will
vibrate at a high frequency, losing and making contact with each other. This
causes arcing and carbon buildup quite rapidly and will kill your batteries.
I tried using batteries on a quick test trip and they were gone in less than
100 miles.

Another extra is the mapping software. While the base map is adequete most
of the time, on long trips it is nice to get nice detailed maps and put in a
route. $100 for the basic software, and it won't automatically follow roads
for you when routing. That is, when going from point A to point B, it will
make a straight line instead of conforming to the curves of the road. This
throws your estimated milage way off or forces you to have dozens of
waypoints. I don't know if this is a limitation of the Garmin, or if other
brands use the same software and have the same limitations, or if they've
gotten a clue since I was in the market and fixed this.

One note on the RAM mount...way better than having it in the map pocket. The
GPS obscures the speedo only, which is the one instrument the GPS replaces.
It is also a glance away, instead of needing a look down on the tank bag. If
its in the map pocket, it might as well be off and inside the bag.

- -Chris "Snow Dawg" Strizver

End of st-digest V2002 #344