[ST] Dealers, maintenance and a job not so well done.

Fellow Listers,

Having followed the threads concerning dealer maintenance and costs I have
come to two conclusions.

One:  Going to the dealer for service is like going to Vegas only with
slightly better odds.

Two:  In order to have complete confidence in the work done on my bike, I
will have to do it myself.

I never intended to become a motorcycle mechanic or design tester when I
purchased my bike.  I though I would change the oil, adjust the chain,
change the break pads, you know all the same type of stuff the average do it
yourselfer does on their car.  Instead, I am slowly but surely becoming an
expert in trouble shooting the somewhat incomplete work done by my dealer.

The following is an example.  I discover that fuel is seeping from the quick
disconnect located on the fuel tank.  I take it into the dealer to have the
fitting replaced and am assured that the repair has been made.  Not two
weeks later Tom Emberson and I are synchronizing the throttle bodies on my
bike and discover that my vent tube is crammed down amongst the fuel lines
and frame in such a way as to be almost totally crimped off and my overflow
tube is missing!  When I questioned them about the missing tube I was told
that it isn't uncommon for them to come lose.  With all due respect, I call
bullsh*t.

Every other tube was so secure we almost had to pry them off.  I might have
been inclined to believe them if this was the first screw-up, but it wasn't.
  I have experienced everything from under inflated tires to improperly
secured bodywork.  I practically had to force them to check the CO2 level
after they graciously downloaded a new tune into the bike.  I was told twice
it was checked and was fine.  When they actually measured it is was off by
over 7%.  After my low side, my bike was delivered to me with a right side
mirror attached to the left side fairing!  I have more confidence in Tom,
STeve and Brian working on my bike than any dealer.  You know, if I gave my
boss half as many incorrect assessments and failed to correct problems the
second and third time they were brought to my attention, I would be handed a
pink slip.  If someone from Triumph is listening, get these problems under
control.  I have been told that historically motorcycle mechanics are less
reliable than auto mechanics.  Whether his is true or not I don't care.
Service after the sale is what makes me a loyal customer.  Good service on a
nationwide scale also enhances Triumphs reputation and helps with resale
value and the used market making it easier for me to buy that new ST or RSS
or Speed Triple.  It's just good business.

In short, were it not for this list, I might have traded my Triumph in long
ago.  The info you guys have provided fills in the void left by the dealers
and Triumph.  I love my ST and Triumph.  I only wish my dealer loved them
too.