[ST] Chain tension

I've read the manual on proper chain tension for the ST.  I've noticed that
while supposedly in tolerance at around 1", my chain is much looser than my
buddie's 02 VFR (his chain probably only has about .25-.5 inch play).  Is
this simply a design issue where the Triumph's chain is intentionally
looser?  How tight do y'all keep your chain?  And the "I'm not a mechanic"
give-away question: how long does it typically take to adjust the chain?

Scott