[ST] Re: broke bike

larry hicks wrote:

>been any better for the first 6000 miles. I've been changing the oil and
>doing my own service checks, just taking it to the dealer to check for
>stored DTC's (freebie) While Craig was doing this for my 6000 checkup,i
>asked what tune it had in it. He looked it up and it said to the best of my
>
>     The morning after was the first time she didn't fire right up,got
harder
>to start with time when she was cold. Started backfireing and smoking about
>a week later. I called Craig told him my sad story he called Triumph. They

Here are a few guesses...

- - CO level, although it would have to be way off to make it backfire & smoke
- - tune is for the wrong pipe
- - tune is for the wrong bike altogether, not the ST
- - running with the wrong tune for the pipe may have overheated the engine
and damaged piston rings (wild theory, see my next EMail asking about tunes
& pipes)
- - faulty electrical connections at the ECU, maybe cabling was damaged when
the gameboy was connected
- - throttle bodies out of synch or something damaged when the tank/air box
was off
- - idle air stepper motor or sensor out of whack

You don't hold the throttle open when you start it, or use the kill
switch/side stand instead of the key to stop the bike, do you?

Well, I may not have time to do my own bike maintenance, but I can read
EMails and remember a few things - thanks to all the much more knowledgeable
people on this list!

Good luck with the bike,

Neil