[ST] Ride report Part 2 of 2 (Long)

The next morning I looked out the window to a see a heavy fog and rain.
After breakfast I put on the rain gear and checked out. It wasn't
raining as I walked out the door but by time I saddled up it started again.

Back at Branchville they gave us a pre-ride briefing. One of the things
that was pointed out was watching for vehicles that want to enter or
exit the highway. We were told to not block them, let them do their
thing and then regroup. Sounded reasonable to me. I've seen the
aftermath of what happens when 2500 pounds of steel meets 500 pounds of
aluminum and plastic. The other issue was the vague directions. We were
to exit at SH-312 (CT, NY, or PA? North, south, east, or west?) Connect
with US-6 then SH-17 (Which state?) back to I-84. Gas up at exit 1
(Which state?) Then I-84 to I-81 to SH-61 to Port Clinton.

A light drizzle was falling. We secured our helmets, saddled up and
headed out. Mike Vaughn led the "parade." I was sixth in line. As we
wound our way north on US-7 I thought that it was so cool to be a part
of history. Then we approached I-84W.

Being quite familiar with the idiosyncrasies of that interchange I was
wondering, "When the heck is he going to change lanes?" The suspense was
killing me so I made the first move and then the riders ahead made
theirs. OK. Not to bad for a bunch of bikes at the first interchange.

A short time later near the NY-CT border a pick-up truck came down an
entrance ramp ahead of us. The front end of the parade was in the left
lane and truck easily made its entrance. The first five bikes passed the
pick-up and moved into the right lane in front of him. Following the
advice at the briefing and my own common sense I held back so that the
fellow could easily move into the left lane in front of me and pass us.
  Suddenly the number 5 rider started braking. The pick-up truck hits
his brakes and then number 5 waves the group to move ahead. I'm
thinking, "How freakin' stupid is that maneuver?" Not only did he almost
get himself hit, but in one application of the brakes he managed to
irritate the heck out of the pick-up driver, me and who knows how many
others riders that witness his foolishness.

We soon come upon NY-312 and head for US-6. A few riders head off on
their own way. As we travel along 6 the rain gets heavy at times. By the
time we cross the Hudson, the rain has stopped and the roads are drying
up. A few twisties along the way then onto NY-17 (a slab) to I-84. At
one point a gentleman on an older Meriden Triumph overshoots the head of
the parade and the exit ramp forcing him to cut through some gravel to
rejoin us. As I witness this I'm happy to know what fantastic brakes the
Hinckley's have.

At the last exit in NY we stop to gas up. By now the sun is shining and
the roads are dry. My rain suit, that I bought for $20 at EMS ten years
ago, has kept me bone dry (except for the sweat. The next day I rip it
on my way to work.) Everyone starts to pack up their rain gear.

A few of the riders invited me to take back roads to Port Clinton. Part
of me wants to be piece of history but the older and wiser part of me
has seen enough nonsense for one day. There would be only six in our
group. A good number. There is not always safety in numbers. In our
group is Steve Kreckman and his BRG Trophy, the fellow from Chicago on
his blue Trophy, Cindy(?) from NH on her orange RS, the black beret
wearing, classic riding guy from Mystic, CT (British flag flying from
his back rest), and Adam Zuckerman on his 'guzzi,

Our planned route is to head south on US-209. Not having a map or being
familiar with the area I was completely at the whim of the other riders,
which was fine with me. We ended up taking US-209 to Lehighton to PA-443
to some great little back road to PA-845 to PA-61 to Hermy's. What a
great route. We stopped for gas near Lehighton but the Blue Devil and
its 5 gallon tank were averaging 54 mpg. I didn't need to top off. We
got hit with a little bit of rain but not enough to make us stop and don
our rain gear.

After we got to Hermy's we discover that we arrived only five minutes
behind the parade. We were told that that they had to stop to put on
their rain gear and the support truck got lost.

Hermy's was great. By my estimate about 200 people had turned out. Not
just riders making the journey but several locals too! They had a
bluegrass band playing in the parking lot. I popped in to check out the
food and to my surprise they had pirogis, potato salad, and macaroni
salad! They had a bunch of meat dishes too, but I didn't bother to
notice what they were.

I met a few good people including Dean Martin from the Philly area. He
made me feel like a long lost friend. Andy Kay introduced me to Floyd
who lives in the Port Clinton area and is thinking about getting an ST.

I had to be at work Monday morning so I decided to head home soon. I
made sure I said good-bye to all that I had met. I just wanted to get
home quick so I decided to slab it home. I-78 to I-80 to I-280 to home.
Adam Zuckerman was heading toward Philly and rode with me until I-476.
There were lots of trucks plodding along on the interstate until I got
past Bethlehem. From there I was able to fly home.

What a great weekend. Too bad I had to be at work on Monday. I wore my
new TAA t-shirt with pride.

Monday night I went out for drinks with a friend after work. I left the
Blue Devil in the shop and took the bus home. As I'm stepping off the
bus about a hundred yards from my door I hear this voice. "Hey. You ride
a Triumph?" It turns out to be a guy that lives four houses away from me
and rides a new Bonny. I had seen the bike but we had never met.

Pictures are posted at:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/slawler/TAA/TAA.html

- --
Steve Lawler

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
             -- Walter Bagehot