re: [ST] 04 Daytona - Hayabusa killer? Make mine a 3 pot

Apex Dawg wrote:

>Oh yeah, that sounds good ! But a 4? I'd rather see them put something like Foggy's triple in there. If he can do it in such a short period of time with minimal resources (well, with resources that don't compare to  Triumph's) then surely the boys & girls in Hinckley can do it also.  My .02.  Why can't we build a triple with over 125 bhp or whatever the new Daytona has?

Apex Dawg

Unfortunately, I fear that you're mistaking the relative resources available to Foggy vs. Triumph.  Foggy is backed by Petronas, a Fortune Global 100 company that's backing racing in Formula 1, World Rally, Touring Car, Watercraft, and 250cc GP.  Its possible to build a triple with over 125hp, its just that its more difficult to make it in an engine that doesn't have to be rebuilt every few hours.  Its that old cylinder size/rpm thing....  Bigger cylinders, more torque.  Bigger cylinder, lower rpm, less top end power.  Where do you want your power?  And this doesn't even begin to address the issue of power delivery related control (which seems to be the biggest obstacle facing the 4 stroke MotoGP.)

What I speculate Triumph is going to do is the same sort of thing they did with the original Daytona 1200.  Bust the "voluntary" barrier.  Last time, it was the 125hp(?) barrier, this time its the 300kph/186mph barrier.  Perhaps even a modest return to the modular days, with a 4cyl @1300cc Daytona and Trophy, and the 3 cylinder @955 (maybe even updated.)