Re: [ST] RE: Frame sliders

I bought a set of Moko's for my ST. Well, actually 2 sets (since apparently you can not buy just the plastic pieces which seems odd to me.  First use, I locked up the front wheel when a pickup truck in front of me slammed on his brakes, slide about 4-5 feet then went down.  1) bike didn't land on my leg due to the frame sliders. 2) there was not one scratch on the fairings, although I did have to replace the fairings because I ended up hitting the back of the truck, which shoved the front fairing into the sides and cracked the side panels.(not the fault of the sliders, the road in this area is very slick with gas and oil being between two gas stations.)  The second test was when a gentleman WALKED past my BRIGHT LUCIFER ORANGE bike and then proceded to back into it, which broke the right footpeg, bent the rear brake pedal to the perfect position for me, and scratched the hard bag.

Now as for the idea that all your doing is saving the insurance company money....your WRONG...your saving your bike.  Don't know if you've looked at the resale value of your bike lately but it really isn't all that great, and if the damages to your bike reach or exceed 70% of the current value of your bike the insurance company can and will total out your bike, even if it's the other guys insurance paying. Fairing parts are generally much more expensive to replace than to fix. The first time my bike was backed into I was able to fix the panels and repaint the entire bike a custom color (Lucifer Orange has to be matched here in the US, it's not available from the manufacturer here) for the cost of replacing the 3 panels that got scratched up.

BTW yeah, I know...my bike is cursed it's been backed into 2 times, dropped 2 times due to unavoidable road debris, and hit two vehicles (one my fault, the other not my fault).  But I a stuborn, bullheaded SOB, not to mention really lucky I've not been hurt, so far, knock on carbon fiber).

For styling of these big black knobs, I wouldn't mind seeing a carbon fiber version.

At 07:51 PM 3/7/02 -0000, you wrote:

>I brought a set of (Moko) frame sliders for my RS in preparation for a weeks
>touring -- figuring that if it went rubber side up, I'd be less likely to
>break gear/brake levers, faring panels etc. -- and so may not have to go
>home on a breakdown truck. Fortunately I never put the theory to the test,
>but a few weeks later a tw*t in a van reversed into it while it was parked
>and, apart from a slightly bent gear lever and a few very light scratches
>(including the slider), nothing was broken, so I could still carry on riding
>until it was a convenient time to get it fixed -- so they worked for me
>because of the reduced hassle.
>
>My 1.5p.....
>
>Tim
>'01 RS
>Cambridge UK

Lex "Digital Dawg" Offer
reffoxel@xxxxxxxxxxx
2000 Lucifer Orange Sprint ST (no that's not a typo)
1986 VF1000 F-2 Bol d'Or