Re: [ST] a short intro and a few questions

Robert Smith wrote:
- --

> Since I had the idle mixture richened up from its EPA-starved level to
> where it should be, the problem has completely gone. Doing this is
> going to be a little more difficult with the closed loop system...

in theory, the closed loop system should be better than then open loop
system.  However it is only better by proper controller programing; and
when a closed loop controller screws up (poles go into the right plane
- -- to the rails, I say!) it _really_ screws up. (screw up here means
idling doesn't happen).....

 I will test this theory and the efficacy of the controller when I ride
across some high mountain passes next month.

> Is making the idle mixture non-adjustable an EPA thing?

That would be an affirmative.  Riching up the idle mixture spews more
unburned hydrocarbons into the exhaust.

- -chuck
'02 ST