[ST] re: Phoenix Gear

>These jackets sure seem to be popular on this list so I risk flames here,
>but I saw one at a local dealer and I wouldn't trust
>my hide to it on the street, much less a track.  If
>it's too hot for perf leather, it's too hot for riding
>IMO.
>
>Randy
>'00 RS

Have to say that you're mistaken there, at least if you like to ride.  Hereabouts, where the temperature will be 130+ four feet above the pavement, you wouldn't ride at all from mid-May to mid-September.  Or at least most people wouldn't.  I do, but then I a) grew up here, and b) rode a bicycle in this stuff for years.

That aside, one of the guys down at Cycle Gear here has "tested" a Phoenix jacket shortly after they appeared on the market.  His CBR1100XX Blackbird slid out from under him upon hitting some gravel in a corner at 30mph.  The jacket did an admirable job of absorbing the slide, his arm and shoulder were merely bruised, no road rash at all.  He's satisfied with it, and will continue to use it once things get toasty 'round here again.

Grace and peace,
John S., unofficially "BikerDawg"
'00 RS

- --