Re: [ST] oops!!! need some advice

Chris Brant wrote:

>I know there has
>to be a way to fix it. It doesn't have to be pretty
>because the repair will not be seen.  I just need the
>tab to be strong enough to pull the two pieces
>together and hold them.

Plastic welding works, but it isn't as strong as or as cheap as racer's
best friend...  fiberglass and epoxy.

start here:  http://www.tapplastics.com/fiberglass/index.html

the lightweight "C" deck cloth is probably the best choice for your
application.  1 yard will last a lifetime.

resins.  use epoxy, not polyester.  the MEKP stuff stinks to high
heaven.   marine grade epoxy is my choice

get the marine grade resin  (#314)

I usually use the slow hardener #143.  If you're in a big  hurry, or you
are really good at this, you can go with medium or fast.  Another
advantage of the slow hardener is the penetrating aspect or "wet out"
feature.

Tap has great instructions and "how to" booklets.  read them (most
important is to clean and sand the plastics, and to mix the resin /
hardender well)

before mixing the epoxy cut the glass into small squares and use a
layered approach to rebuilding the tab  -- doing a mockup helps.  I
often use paper / cardboard forms to form the first layer.  let that
first one cure, then measure / cut / sand to get the shape "close
enough" before putting on the next couple layers.  once this is cured
you can drill holes etc, etc.  if you completely blow the creation of
the tab, file off the constructed tab and start over.  note that your
repair will be stronger than the fairing; don't try to break the
fiberglass off..  you will crack the fairing.

do use care not to get any epoxy on the outside of the fairing.  it's
ugly.  before it cures, you can clean it off with acetone.

If you know that you are a messy worker, tape up the outside of the fairing.

lastly use latex gloves.

good luck

- --chuck
crasher and fixer of track bikes
rider of triumph ST '02

(once you realize that fiberglass is a great fixer, you will find
yourself fixing lots of things with it...  it can be rather addictive)