Re: [ST] First gear

The Sprint does have a very tall first gear and depending upon which
year you have it varies a bit because they changed the front sprocket.

If I had my choice I would have a lower 1st, and then redistribute
the other gears so that there is more spacing between them but keep
sixth where it is. 5th and 6th or so close I'm not sure why both are
needed.

On the track and in really twisty riding I find I want a gear between
1st and 2nd. My '99 is so clunky going between 1st & 2nd I really
hate those slow corners where I know I need to get into first. So if
1st and 2nd were both lower, starts would be much faster and easier,
and then I could use second for the slow corners.

>No, not the clothing.  Is it my imagination or does the ST have an
>incredibly tall first gear?  My last bike (Katana 1100) didn't have an
>exceptionally short first gear but the ST seems huge by comparison.  Seems
>like I'm having to keep the revs up more than I'm used to on a normal start
>or it will almost start to lug.  Is this a triple phenomenon or just an
>intentional design.  BTW, I'm not complaining - I'd rather have a longer
>first gear than one that's just for decoration.

- --
Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://members.cox.net/aestheticdesign
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned