Re: [ST] Front sprocket removal

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Chris wrote:

> Argh! Few things frustrate me more than when I can't complete a seemingly
> simple task. I went ahead and bought the 18T front sprocket and hurried home
> to put it on. I take the cover off and think, "hmmm, that's a pretty big
> nut". Sure enough, I don't have a wrench big enough. So I go buy myself a
> 12" cresent, not the best tool but it should do. Not a chance. Argh!
>
> Is that nut regular or reverse thread? I didn't see any reason for it to be
> reverse, but I've been known to be wrong. I guess it doesn't matter because
> I'll just be heading to the dealer tomorrow to let them do it. I'm not gonna
> go buy a socket and driver big enough for this job, because it'd be the only
> job I'd use it for. Why, oh why, did Triumph think that the average Joe
> would have a socket that big hanging around? Argh!

I just fought that battle this past Sunday Chris, and no, it's not reverse
threaded.  Make certain that you bend back the tabs from the locking
washer so they are completely out of the way.  I got a 36mm socket from
the local Sears Hardware store and failed the first few times to get it to
budge.  It took a having a friend in the saddle standing on the brake with
the tranny in gear and a breaker bar extension slipped over the ratchet
handle to get it to budge after letter a little WD40 penetrate it.

The rear is a piece of cake, you don't even have to take the wheel off.

The new DID chain tool made pressing the side link and riveting the 530ZVM
easy too, once you figure out the poorly translated directions.

Hope it helps some,

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail