RE: [ST] RE: st-digest V2002 #261

>  Hardly inappropriate. If Ed installs his own pipe, then they
> have to break
> loose from whatever else they are doing to wait on him. The shop
> has to buy
> the computers and the downloading equipment, tunes etc. They have to pay a
> guy who has the knowledge to do the job. They have to spend some time
> getting everything hooked up and would probably test ride it to make sure
> it's OK. Granted the physical download time is fairly minimal, but it's at
> least worth .1 hr by itself. Installing and uninstalling the equipment and
> filling the appropriate paperwork is another .2 and the test ride is .2 A
> half hour for all these little tasks is not unreasonable at all. Sometimes
> you have to pay for what they know and the equipment they provide. If it's
> easy enough to do yourself. then do it for free! Or be like the guy that
> took 6 or 7 hours to install an Ohlins. The shop charged me $30
> for the same
> job!
> Bare

Normally, I'd agree with you. But if you bought the bike at that particular
dealer, AND had all of the services performed there, AND bought all your
tires there, AND bought parts there...you probably get the point. Any
business must balance paying for the equipment and expertise (payroll) with
providing a service for current or potential customers in order to entice
them back to spend more money. My assumption was that he was already a
paying customer. Could be that he was just walking up to a dealer for the
first time...in that case I'd agree that 1/2 hour shop rate would be
appropriate.

Snow Dawg