RE: [ST] YELLOW BOX speedo re-calibrator

Daniel Miller wrote:

>Has anyone ever tried this product?
>
>http://www.blackrobotics.com/index.htm
>
>I'm wondering if there is any reason this won't work on our Sprints.

*** WARNING ***

Last year, I lent my ST's old km/h speedometer to this company for testing
with the Yellow Box.  It took several months of pestering before they
finally sent the speedo back to me.  They did included a free Yellow Box for
me to try.  I have passed this on to another lister to try on his ST, with
the request that he let us all know how it goes.

Although they did eventually return my speedo undamaged and they fulfilled
their promise of sending the freebie, I don't think I can recommend this
company as it might take a long time and a lot of hassle to get what you've
paid for.

On the technical front, the box looked quite well made and I expect it will
do what it says, i.e. give you correct speedo readings.  However, I am
convinced that it will make your odometer inaccurate at the same time, since
it is actually modifying the pulse frequency from sensor to speedo/odometer.
I asked the box makers about this several times but did not get an adequate
answer.  If you want accurate readings, I'd recommend a Sigma bicycle
computer (see website FAQs and check its calibration) or GPS.

By the way, their website is correct to say that the box can correct for
sprocket changes - some bikes take readings from the gearbox output shaft to
drive the speedo and sprocket size change would affect speedo readings.  The
ST & RS don't suffer from this as they take the speedo drive from the front
wheel.

Neil