RE: [ST] Poor fuel consumption

Bill,
There are a few things that come to mind.  It's most likely a combination of
things.  Any obstruction in the air box like a bees nest or a dirty air
filter will cause poor mileage even on an injected bike - I'd start there.
If the Previous Owner (PO) never did any service, change the fluids,
especially the oil.  If the chain was never cleaned and lubed, I would
suspect that you might need a new chain and sprockets.  A worn out chain can
cause loss of mileage. Low tire pressures can cause lowered mileage too.
For touring, I keep mine up around 42/40 and see a bit better mileage than
for sporting pressures at 38/36.  Check the sprockets.  The  PO may have
switched to a lower gearing which could change mileage somewhat.

Any one of these wouldn't cause all of your mileage problems, but all of
them could significantly reduce you mileage.

I have an early build '99 which has had several of the tune upgrades.  I
haven't noticed a change in my fuel mileage, though performance and
smoothness has improved.

HTH

Dan Wallander
'99ST