[ST] Squids and Daytonas

"I agree it is  very interesting reading about the Daytona in relation to
other bikes but I think a direct comparison is unfair as there isn't
anything quite like it. I don't really consider the R1 a true road bike in
so far as it is by all accounts just a little too manic for the road. The
Daytona is very well mannered and easy to ride. Just look at what bikes are
in all the bike wreckers, R1's, GSXR's etc. This is because there
performance is well beyond the capabilities of most of the people that buy
them. The Daytona got criticized because it wasn't quite up there with the
Japanese and Italian rivals, well who cares ? I know that I don't need 150
hp on the road and the way our cops are I certainly don't need to do 300
KPH. I personally don't think Triumph should get involved in the ultimate HP
race, just stick to doing what they do best and that is making great
looking, reliable and exciting street bikes.
Ashley"

Are you implying the Daytona doesn't have adequate performance to get squids
in trouble? My impression of the one I rode is that I could beat the same
guys with it that I beat on my 929, and since I can pretty well beat the
same guys on the RS (and these guys are riding R1s, GSXR1000s, etc). Perhaps
you are trying to blame their crashing on the bike? I don't think so. Too
many people can buy this kind of bike because the road tests say they are
the best. These people don't have a clue about how to ride one because they
have never ridden anything more than an EX500 if that! They are way over
their heads with liter class Superbikes, and they would be just as far over
their heads on a Daytona. Be glad the mags call the Triumphs a little below
the top of the class. It keeps the squids off them and won't sully the
reputation of the marque! Any of these bikes, on the street, is more than
adequate for 98% of the canyon carvers. The bike just doesn't make a telling
difference! A tenth of a second in a quarter mile, or even an extra 30
pounds just does not show up out there. The best rider will be in the front
on any of them, and the the best rider will probably still be fifth on any
of them! And the squids will crash just as easily on any of them.
As far as comfort goes, I don't find the Daytona more comfortable than the
929 or the ZX-9. Perhaps, a little more so than the R1 or Gixxer.
Bare