etymotic, koss, and earplugs(Re: [ST] Custom plugs)

As far as earplugs, I always wear them and bought a pack of 120
hex-shaped ones at Home Cheapot for $10.  I constantly lose and wash
them, so I'm hesitant to pay for custom ones.  I can use the hex ones
for a week or more until they wear out or get too gross and I toss them.

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 10:35:09AM -0700, James Wright wrote:
> I've actually been thinking about trying some of the Etymotic earphones
> they sell out of the Aerostich catalog - I could use them both as
> hearing protection and for the radar detector and phone, but worried
> about shelling out that much $ in case they're hard to use in a helmet.
>  Anyone have experience with or thoughts on these?
>
>  -- Jim

I looked on the Aerostich web page.  They list the Etymotic ER-4S.
Etymotic also has a brand new, less expensive version out, the ER-6.
They're available from headphone.com, which has a 30 day satisfaction
guarantee for US$139.

I recently researched them and seriously considered buying them, but
funds are kinda tight, so I ended up buying some Koss "The Plug"
headphones from radshack on friday for $20 and doing the following mod:

http://headwize.com/projects/cmoy4_prj.htm

Basically, you replace the stock foam that comes with the headphones
with earplugs.  I did this and was surprised how much better it sounded.
The stock foam covers suck.  I actually tried these headphones last
year, but found they let too much noise in and returned them.  This mod
seems to work much better.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to ride and fully test them yet this
weekend, but I'll follow up in the next day or two.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)