Re: [ST] ST Oil Level

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 09:37:49AM +0100, Dave Sillence wrote:
> Any Sprint ST owners out there that have noticed that their bikes are
> sensitive to a particular level of oil? (e.g. through the site window) mine
> appears to be blowing a fair bit out of the breather pipe, or at least when
> I removed the bung from it there was about 10-15cc of oil that drained out.
> I tend to like to run the oil level towards the upper level of the two
> marks, I was wondering if any fellow Sprint ST owners have had any similar
> problems or, perhaps, running it at the 'lower' end of the two marks is more
> advisable?
> Any advice/info would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards
> UK Dave

Could be that your crankcase breather valve is bad and letting oil get
by up into the airbox.  I just replaced mine a few months ago.  Before,
oil was constantly draining out of the airbox overflow tube--now, my
garage floor stays clean again.  I never really noticed that it spewed
more at a particular fill level, though.  It just blew by constantly.

The old breather valve (don't know what year your ST is) was just
plastic (white or tan colored on my bike) and the new, redesigned piece
has a reinforced, metal insert and shaft in it and is black.  If you
have your left side fairing off, it's pretty easy to check, just 5 or 6
bolts to remove the cover that is connected to the airbox by a rubber
tube.

Laters,
Brian
- --