Re: [ST] Chain replacement/chain shortening

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Harries, Mort wrote:

> Now I gotta pay for it....  I just ran out of chain adjustment.  I have just
> over 11k miles on the chain so it should have plenty of life left in it.  Is
> it easy and safe to remove a few links from the chain?  How do I do that?  I
> guess I need a special tool.  Worht buying the tool and doing it myself?  Or
> is this something best left to "experts"?  Or is it something best not done
> at all, and should I just buy a new chain?

Depends on which chain.  The bike had 11k on it when I got it, was at 15k
when I changed the chain/sprockets and man what a difference it made.  The
DID 530ZVM makes the OEM Regina look like a noodle.

The new DID tool for putting on their ZJ links worked flawlessly.  Made it
pretty much impossible not to get the stake right, the rivets look factory
and just alike.

To remove the old chain, get a cutoff wheel for your drill or dremel, I
used the dremel and it went well.  Then you use the chain tool to push out
two pins after cutting off the heads.

If you have more than one bike perhaps learning to do it and getting the
tools would be worth while, but if you have just one ride and a decent
shop they shouldn't charge you too much to do it.

Hope it helps some,
- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail