Re: [ST] Other cold weather wear

Ken M. wrote:

> I have a Turtle Fur (brand name) balaclava to cover my head & neck. I have
> not been able to find a duplicate of this one I got at a motorcycle store.
> It has a double layer of the Turtle Fur micro-fiber fleece for the neck
> area, but a thin Lycra cover for the head. Nice, because it fits easily
> under my snug-fitting Arai helmet. Because it's got that head covering, it
> keeps my head a little warmer and never slips down to expose my neck to
the
> elements. And that Turtle Fur fleece is impermeable to the wind. Awesome
> product!

  I also use a balaclava and the thing I like about it is, if it is cold you
can position it to cover your mouth and then breath into it to keep your
chin
and face warm. If it is hot you can pull it down under you chin and let the
air
in.

> In my helmet, I use a Fog City insert on the clear face shield. Works
great,
> and because they have one specially cut for the Arai, it vignettes on the
> field of view only VERY marginally. However, when it's THAT cold out, I
> sometimes have to lift the face shield to clear it if I've been breathing
> too heavy for too long. The Arai breath deflector (replaces the standard
> rubber one) does help with that too.

   I have noticed that the Fog City inserts seem to last about 1 riding
season and
then need to be replaced. When they are first put in (new) they seem to be
very
clear and don't distort the view much. But as they get older they seem to
add more
distortion. Has anyone else noticed this? I've tried cleaning them with out
taking them
off the face shield and I have removed them from the face shield and cleaned
both sides
and they just don't seem to be as clear as when new.

Al

*

End of st-digest V2002 #617