Re: [ST] I'M.... BACK

"STeve Duncan" <xhippy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, Ahhhh, Bill, can I trade you a Plastic Smiley Bag for a Plastic
> Bucket???

Sure, after I don't need it anymore.  It is still sitting in the garage,
just in case it is needed in court.

> Got the insurance settlement yet???

No, not a penny.  17+ months and nothing even for property damage!

Actually it appears I'm about to get $7K for injury.  But the @#$#@
insurance company (not mine, the other guy's company) claims that they have
this weird policy where they only pay for damaged property that is replaced,
as it is replaced.  So I haven't yet replaced the boots or Chatterbox, so
they won't pay up.  And because I didn't replace the other items with the
identical (e.g. HJC helmet replaced with Arai) they can't verify the
replacement value.  And because they never, ever told me in the last 17
months that I'd have to submit receipts for everything I replaced, I have no
receipts!

Instead, on May 21, 2001, I submitted quotes for replacement value.  And
they sat on that without telling me it wasn't adequate for 17 months,
despite numerous calls.

This business of "pay for replace and submit receipts" was sprung on me
about a week ago.  Needless to say I'm more than a little pissed!

I've obtained 2 more quotes for replacement value from local dealers.  We'll
see what the insurance has to say about that.  And they are finally sending
an adjustor to look over the damaged property (helmet, gloves, jacket, etc.)
this week.  Incredibly they have never done that!

If they don't write me a check by Friday then I'll submit a complaint to the
Florida Department of Insurance.  I've already spoken to them and their rule
of thumb is anything more than 30 days is stalling and should be
investigated.  They actually suggested I file a complaint whether or not
they cut me a check since almost 1.5 years is an indication of bad dealings
and deliberate stalling.

> Glad to see you are back in the saddle!

Thanks.  You too!  Even my wife will be riding again; just got her bike all
fixed up after sitting idle since before my bucket encounter.  Maybe we'll
go riding tomorrow.  :-)

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater, FL